In its 35-year history, Komen has awarded 37 grants to Colorado-based researchers, totaling $9.3 million. Of those grants, 13 have gone to early career investigators, paving the way for long-term stability and findings.
In the 2017-18 grant year, there is one active grant at the University of Colorado at Denver Anschutz Medical Campus. The grant is led by Elizabeth Wellberg and Carol Sartorius, totaling $600,000 to investigate growth factor signaling in obesity associated with breast cancer.
Of the $9.3 million invested in research in Colorado:
- 32% went to study the biology of breast cancer
- 28% went to study survivorship and outcomes
- 18% went to study treatment
- 14% went to study prevention
- 8% went to study early detection and diagnosis