Komen Colorado knows that in order to achieve the Bold Goal, the problem must be addressed from all angles. It will take a united front working in research and public policy to protect access to care for all women, and providing clinical care to ensure access to care for all women now.
Komen Colorado provides the following direct services to support current, former, and future breast cancer patients and their loved ones:
- Education about breast cancer risk, mammography, diagnostic tests, treatment options, clinical trials, research achievements, disparities, and more
- Targeted outreach to African American communities experiencing higher disparities
- Through the Pink Sunday program, a faith-based initiative to share breast health information
- At community events targeting African American women
- Through partnerships with health-focused programs in the African American community
Komen Colorado also provides indirect services to support current, former, and future breast cancer patients and their loved ones:
- Community grants to local non-profits organizations
- To cover the cost of clinical care for screenings, diagnostic tests, and treatment
- To provide breast health education and navigation services
- Collaboration with community partners addressing access to cancer care
- As an active member of the Colorado Cancer Coalition and the Breast Cancer Task Force
- By assembling breast cancer providers in the service area to discuss challenges and potential solutions for serving uninsured women
- By sharing data and stories about what breast cancer patients face on a regular basis to focus the conversations about cancer care where it is most imperative
All of this work is implemented by Komen Colorado mission staff with support and guidance from a large team of dedicated volunteers. Volunteers give their time by providing education at community events, sitting on mission-focused committees, and sharing experience and insights into the breast cancer community in Colorado, among many other activities.
The Community Grants program is the largest vehicle Komen Colorado currently has to have a direct, tangible impact for women and men seeking breast health information or breast cancer care. Due to HIPAA regulations and other factors, Komen Colorado cannot provide direct breast cancer care to individuals. To circumvent this, Komen Colorado grants funds to local, non-profit clinics and hospitals to cover the cost of care for women and men who have no other payment sources.